These Official Premier Seeding Events, taking place during 2013, will be used as seeding events for the 2014 Cycle Tour.
|Event Name||Distance||Date||Province||More Info|
|The Herald VW Cycle Tour||106km||3-Feb-13||Eastern Cape||www.heraldcycletour.co.za|
|Optimum Berge en Dale Classic||102km||9-Feb-13||Gauteng||www.cyclingnews.co.za|
|99er Cycle Tour||108km||9-Feb-13||Western Cape||www.99er.co.za|
|Dis-chem Ride for Sight||116km||17-Feb-13||Gauteng||www.cycleevents.co.za|
|Nedbank Cycle Challenge||100km||17-Feb-13||Namibia||www.wpp.iway.na|
|Daily Dispatch Cycle Tour||100km||24-Feb-13||Eastern Cape||www.eventpro.co.za|
|Cape Argus Pick n Pay Momentum MTB Challenge||52km & 66km||3-Mar-13||Western Cape||www.mtbchallenge.co.za|
|Cape Argus Pick n Pay Momentum Cycle Tour||109km||10-Mar-13||Western Cape||www.cycletour.co.za|
|Wilro Lions Cycle Challenge||114km||21-Apr-13||Gauteng||tbc|
|aQuelle Tour Durban||105km||28-Apr-13||KZN||tbc|
|Pick n Pay Weekend Argus Rotary Knysna MTB||50km & 80km||29-Jun-13||Southern Cape||www.knysnacycle.co.za|
|Powerade Lost City Cycle Classic||115km||17-Aug-13||Northwest Province||www.cansalostcity.co.za|
|Bestmed Lost City Mountain Bike Event||60km||18-Aug-13||Northwest Province||www.cansalostcity.co.za|
|D2D Cycling Race||93km||1-Sep-13||Gauteng||www.dome2dome.co.za|
|Rand Water Race For Victory||110km||15-Sep-13||Gauteng||tbc|
|Kumba Iron Ore Classic||105km||21-Sep-13||Northern Cape||www.cycleevents.co.za|
|The Pennypinchers Die Burger Lions Karoo
to Coast Mountain Bike Race
|Bidvest Steiner Penny Pinchers GOK Cycle Tour||104km||6-Oct-13||Southern Cape||www.gok.co.za|
|Amashova Durban Classic||106km||13-Oct-13||KZN||www.shova.co.za|
|PPA One Tonner||163km||20-Oct-13||Western Cape||www.pedalpower.org.za|
|Bestmed Jacaranda Satellite Classic||80km & 106km||19-Oct-13||PTA||www.cyclingnews.co.za|
|Mangaung OFM Classic||106km||3-Nov-13||Free State||www.ofm.co.za|
|Momentum 94.7 Cycle Challenge||94.7km||17-Nov-13||Gauteng||www.cyclechallenge.co.za|
|Die Burger PPA Cycle Tour||97km||1-Dec-13||Western Cape||www.dieburgercycletour.co.za|
What is seeding and why is it done?
Seeding is the process we use to set the start time for each entrant into the event. The purpose of seeding is to group cyclists together in bunches of equal ability thereby reducing the need for overtaking and reducing the likelihood of accidents or bottlenecks at any point on the route.
How seeding is done:
- Using available results for events timed by RaceTec, a seeding index is calculated for each person.
- This gives an indication of a person’s ability relative to all other entrants.
- An index of “0″ means you are of the same ability as the winner, while a “100″ index means we expect you to do roughly double the time of the winner.
- Everyone with an index between 0 and approximately 100 is seeded into one of the seeded groups with riders of equal ability.
To determine your seeding, we use your best result in Cycle Tour seeding events or the average of your best 3 other results if that is better.
- These events may carry a penalty if it does not meet certain criteria, like distance or total acsent.
- We also make concessions for certain special groups giving them a start in the last few seeded batches. These are people who have completed more than a certain number of Cycle Tours or seeding events, people over 70 and internationals.
- Next come the groups for the various charity and corporate entries that did not make it into the seeded groups, and then PPA members.
- Remember that if you entered as a Corporate or Charity rider, but qualify for a better start group, you will be seeded according to your ability. You are allowed to drop back and start with your Corporate of Charity group, but never earlier than what your official start time is.
- Finally there are the open groups for anyone not falling into one of the above categories.